[Coco] Kicking the Z-80 butts...

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 28 21:13:36 EDT 2015

On 29/04/2015 10:48 AM, Mark McDougall wrote:

> The Williams boards with a 1MHz 6809 (after Defender) had a blitter for
> moving graphics around memory, optimised for the video memory
> architecture. Konami's Tutankham only had (split-screen) scrolling, but
> Juno First had a blitter as well.

Further to this I should clarify that the above mentioned Williams and
Konami games used bit-mapped graphics with no sprite hardware.

I actually have Tutankham running on the Coco, but with no scrolling
support and the screen rotated 90 degrees. It does look pretty
impressive, even as a proof-of-concept.

There has been some debate over whether Defender could be ported to the
Coco in any fashion. The main issues are resolution and video memory
layout - Defender has an odd architecture whereby pixels in the same
byte (word?) of video memory are organised vertically, not horizontally
as you'd expect.

Regards,