[Coco] Kicking the Z-80 butts...

Joe Grubbs jsgrubbs at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 28 09:41:19 EDT 2015

Quick story... Back when I was a kid my dad and I got into this non-serious "competition" as to which of our computers was faster--my CoCo2 or his Model 16. We set up a completely non-scientific test, but it was a fun programming exercise.

We wrote programs that would perform a bunch of recursive arithmetic, and we timed how long each machine took to finish. I wrote mine in BASIC of course. My dad wrote his in C under TRS-XENIX running on the 6MHz 68000. Of course he won that round, but he admitted it wasn't fair, so he booted the computer with TRS-DOS in Z80 Model II mode and wrote a similar program in BASIC. My CoCo2 was victorious that time around! 0.895 MHz 6809 vs 4MHz Z80. Yeah yeah there are a myriad of variables that undoubtedly affected the outcome, but remember this was a light hearted father/son experiment.