[Coco] 128K CoCo2

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Apr 22 20:57:05 EDT 2015

Tormod, a couple of notes on "following the instructions" in "Building NitrOS9 on Windows in MinGW":
Apparently, MinGW has quit including the "perl" distro with the MinGW distro. The "make dskcopy" apparently uses a perl script to copy the dsk images from the machine folders to the "dsk" folder, so you need to include:

mingw-get install msys-perl-bin

in the "Install MinGW" instructions or include it in the package selection during install.

Also, you need to clarify that if you use MinGW 32-bit (x86), you must also use Mercurial 32-bit (x86). If you mix and match between 64-bit and 32-bit installs, you will most likely get errors in building nitros9.

I have yet to get the full 64-bit install to build nitros9 correctly on my system (something always seems to be missing), but I know others have.

Another (small) thing, in the "Installing MinGW" under "Configure the Profile" instructions, it states to add "export NITROS9DIR="/usr/src/nitros9" to the "profile". That's fine if your nitros9 dir is always going to be "nitros9".
I have several Nitros9 dirs for doing "custom" builds with modified sources, so I prefer to set the path on the cmd line. Posting an alternative "export NITROS9DIR=$PWD" for the cmd line method would help those who have different folders like I do.

I havent tried using "CygWin" so I don't know how well that works. I may set it up sometime just to test it out. It may be faster than MinGW...

I just did a fresh build of the complete repo and everything seems fine :-)

Thanks :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com