[Coco] 128K CoCo2

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 06:33:58 EDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 2:57 AM, Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> Tormod, a couple of notes on "following the instructions" in "Building NitrOS9 on Windows in MinGW":
> Apparently, MinGW has quit including the "perl" distro with the MinGW distro. The "make dskcopy" apparently uses a perl script to copy the dsk images from the machine folders to the "dsk" folder, so you need to include:
>
> mingw-get install msys-perl-bin
>
> in the "Install MinGW" instructions or include it in the package selection during install.
>
> Also, you need to clarify that if you use MinGW 32-bit (x86), you must also use Mercurial 32-bit (x86). If you mix and match between 64-bit and 32-bit installs, you will most likely get errors in building nitros9.
>
> I have yet to get the full 64-bit install to build nitros9 correctly on my system (something always seems to be missing), but I know others have.
>
> Another (small) thing, in the "Installing MinGW" under "Configure the Profile" instructions, it states to add "export NITROS9DIR="/usr/src/nitros9" to the "profile". That's fine if your nitros9 dir is always going to be "nitros9".
> I have several Nitros9 dirs for doing "custom" builds with modified sources, so I prefer to set the path on the cmd line. Posting an alternative "export NITROS9DIR=$PWD" for the cmd line method would help those who have different folders like I do.
>
> I havent tried using "CygWin" so I don't know how well that works. I may set it up sometime just to test it out. It may be faster than MinGW...
>

> I just did a fresh build of the complete repo and everything seems fine :-)
>
> Thanks :-)

Hi Bill,

I am not maintaining the MinGW build instructions, I don't remember
who does. I would definitely not use /usr/src. Actually I don't
recommend setting NITROS9DIR at all. Unless you know what you're
doing, I can only recommend running "make" in the top directory,
specifying PORTS as needed.

I don't think it matters if your mercurial is 32-bit or 64-bit. All it
does is copying text files into your directory when you run the "hg"
command. Of course, the text files would be the same (bar the
configurable end of line conversion). The only possible problem is if
some utilities shipped with a standalone mercurial install are
inadvertently used during building, instead of the utilities from
MinGW. This would be quite possible, with the mess of installations
and PATHs on Windows systems. FWIW, my mercurial installation has only
the "hg.exe" executable.

Regards,
Tormod