[Coco] Some "docs" for Zap 1.0

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Apr 19 12:11:59 EDT 2015

On Sunday 19 April 2015 07:03:41 K. Pruitt wrote:
> [...]

The whole page reload is so fast I have never seen a download button but
once, and it did work that one time.

> Is really is needlessly annoying of them to design their site in that
> fashion.

You're being much more restrained on your language that I am capable of.>
I have never suffered fools gladly, and that site was designed by a fool.

> <snip>
>
> > Got it Kelly, and posted, thanks.  But be sure and keep my copy
> > updated in case you run across another gotcha.
>
> Will do. Thank you very much for hosting it.

You are welcome.
[...]

> >> Yes, using it with Cron is the way to go with the CM17A as it has
> >> no storage capabilities like the CM11A or the Plug 'n Power
> >> controller. That's a really great idea about bypassing the
> >> once-a-minute check in that manner.

> > Using data modules didn't seem to have a lot of appeal to most, but
> > it sure seemed like the ideal way to do it for a resident background
> > task that without it would be wearing out the floppy drive on a
> > floppy only system.  Them thar things are getting to be rare birds
> > indeed. :)

> Odd as I always found running cron from a disk drive to be very
> annoying... even with a no- halt controller.  Having everything in a
> data module seems to be the perfect solution.

We are on the same page. :)

> >> I think a software interface to the CM11A for the Coco is a real
> >> possibility... though the RS-232 Pak lacks a Ring line which the
> >> CM11A uses. But that could be corrected with a simple adapter I
> >> think.
> >
> > AFAIK, that is not used by either heyu, or the usb-serial adaptor I
> > am using to drive mine.  It Just Works(TM).  The CM11a, should it
> > need a clock set, sends a message back to heyu, and heyu
> > automatically responds with a clockset macro when that occurs.  The
> > fact that its sending data back up the cable is sufficient.
> >
> > However, if doing a CM11a version for the coco, that clock setting
> > ability will be a given.  Adding the rest of heyu's knobs to it will
> > be a chore though. Since the CM17a has no clock, using cron to drive
> > it seems like the logical thing to do.
>
> Well if I can essentially ignore the ring line and just toss the CM11A
> the time to keep it happy, then that is fantastic.  I need to study
> the CM11A protocol some more.

That seem to only be required after a power failure.  It does have
internal batteries that last several years if quality batteries are
used, but it still uses the powerline derived clock.  I have a whole
house 20kw nat gas standby, but it waits about 10 seconds to start in
case the outage is just a switch recycle at the substation, but the
CM11a, which for data integrity is not on the UPS, whereas everything
else but the amp for audio, the color laser printer and the CM11a is,
will yell for a clockset after the generator lights it up again.

I don't recall doing it the last time, but "heyu info" seems to say its
happy:
gene at coyote:/opt/Genes-os9-stf$ heyu info
Heyu version 2.11-rc1
Configuration at /usr/local/etc/heyu/x10.conf
Powerline interface on /dev/ttyUSB0
Firmware revision Level = 1
Interface battery usage = 0:00  (hh:mm)
Raw interface clock: Sun, Day 108, 10:48:44
(--> Civil Time: Sun 19 Apr 2015   11:48:44 EDT)
Uploaded schedule will expire in 258 days.
Housecode = A
0 = off, 1 = on,               unit  16.......8...4..1
Last addressed device =       0x0040 (0000000000000001)
Status of monitored devices = 0x0000 (0000000000000000)
Status of dimmed devices =    0x0000 (0000000000000000)

And those batteries are circa 2 years old now.

ATM its only doing an evening front deck illumination with (yeah, I'm a
redneck even if I am an import) using the Christmas lights that are
never taken down, just replaced when they get too far gone.  And a
Hawkeye is watching the front deck area, clanging the heck out of a
relay in a RR501 driving an led indicator beside my chair, and of course
reporting to heyu to be logged if heyu is running.  The neighbors cats
account for about 80% of that activity, and it sees automobiles that
drive by too. :)

heyu now supports most of the other aftermarket protocols too, including
shutter controls for environment purposes, RSX in both flavors, Oregon
group, Digimax, firecracker, and probably others as I haven't updated my
heyu install in 2 or 3 years.  Basically, most of the stuff you can buy
at Home Depot or Lowes, is probably capable of being managed by heyu
with the correct configuration options, some at build time I expect.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)