[Coco] Some "docs" for Zap 1.0

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Sun Apr 19 07:03:41 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Heskett"
To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2015 3:26 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Some "docs" for Zap 1.0

<snip>

> That %$#@&^ Join or else box has a non-functional, ghosted X close
> button. So it cannot be bypassed.

It's ghosted for me too.  But I can click on it.

The download button is ghosted as well, and yet clicking on it does work for
me.

Is really is needlessly annoying of them to design their site in that
fashion.

<snip>

> Got it Kelly, and posted, thanks.  But be sure and keep my copy updated
> in case you run across another gotcha.

Will do. Thank you very much for hosting it.

>> > As a side advert here, the Cron_vE available on my web page could be
>> > combined to make a fully autonomous setup, by putting the zap
>> > commands into its Crontab.datamod (no on the minute disk access's
>> > that way), or into the /dd/sys/crontab file.  You would then have
>> > the same long term automatic functionality as if you were driving a
>> > CM11a interface, which has its own clock and memory you only have to
>> > update yearly with a heyu upload command on this box. Or you could
>> > write a vacation light schedule to make it look as if the lights
>> > were being turned on and off like someone would be doing if they
>> > were home, while you are fishing in the most famous bit of trout
>> > water on the planet, just 2 miles below the Navajo Dam on the San
>> > Juan River in New Mexico.
>> >
>> > I just updated the cron .txt and readme's on my web page.  The email
>> > addresses were a bit prehistoric.
>> >
>> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>> > --
>> > "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>> > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>> > Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>
>>
>> Yes, using it with Cron is the way to go with the CM17A as it has no
>> storage capabilities like the CM11A or the Plug 'n Power controller.
>> That's a really great idea about bypassing the once-a-minute check in
>> that manner.
>
> Using data modules didn't seem to have a lot of appeal to most, but it
> sure seemed like the ideal way to do it for a resident background task
> that without it would be wearing out the floppy drive on a floppy only
> system.  Them thar things are getting to be rare birds indeed. :)

Odd as I always found running cron from a disk drive to be very annoying...
even with a no- halt controller.  Having everything in a data module seems
to be the perfect solution.

>> I think a software interface to the CM11A for the Coco is a real
>> possibility... though the RS-232 Pak lacks a Ring line which the CM11A
>> uses. But that could be corrected with a simple adapter I think.
>
> AFAIK, that is not used by either heyu, or the usb-serial adaptor I am
> using to drive mine.  It Just Works(TM).  The CM11a, should it need a
> clock set, sends a message back to heyu, and heyu automatically responds
> with a clockset macro when that occurs.  The fact that its sending data
> back up the cable is sufficient.
>
> However, if doing a CM11a version for the coco, that clock setting
> ability will be a given.  Adding the rest of heyu's knobs to it will be
> a chore though. Since the CM17a has no clock, using cron to drive it
> seems like the logical thing to do.

Well if I can essentially ignore the ring line and just toss the CM11A the
time to keep it happy, then that is fantastic.  I need to study the CM11A
protocol some more.