[Coco] Some "docs" for Zap 1.0

K. Pruitt pruittk at roadrunner.com
Mon Apr 20 06:52:25 EDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Heskett"
To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2015 9:11 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Some "docs" for Zap 1.0

> That seem to only be required after a power failure.  It does have
> internal batteries that last several years if quality batteries are
> used, but it still uses the powerline derived clock.  I have a whole
> house 20kw nat gas standby, but it waits about 10 seconds to start in
> case the outage is just a switch recycle at the substation, but the
> CM11a, which for data integrity is not on the UPS, whereas everything
> else but the amp for audio, the color laser printer and the CM11a is,
> will yell for a clockset after the generator lights it up again.

Oh that sounds cool.  I would really love to set up a back-up power supply
to my house.  I live in earthquake country so it is a real possiblity I
could have to deal with a major quake and the resulting lack of power.  I
have a Harbor Freight 900 watt generator for absolute emergencies, but
something larger and more self-sustaining would be better.  I'm thinking
solar and batteries.

I have a 45 watt solar panel which I screw around with which will allow me
to keep a couple batteries charged.  But I'd really like to have a roof-top
worth of panels and have power to spare. I've just kind of been waiting for
the technology to improve to make the investment more palatable and the
break-even point a bit shorter.

I'd like to install them on racks in my yard so they could move with the
sun.  But I didn't win the lottery this week so that will have wait.

> heyu now supports most of the other aftermarket protocols too, including
> shutter controls for environment purposes, RSX in both flavors, Oregon
> group, Digimax, firecracker, and probably others as I haven't updated my
> heyu install in 2 or 3 years.  Basically, most of the stuff you can buy
> at Home Depot or Lowes, is probably capable of being managed by heyu
> with the correct configuration options, some at build time I expect.

I'm still in the process of setting up heyu on my linux partition.  It's
screaming at me about a configuration file, so I need to read the docs.

I've seen the new stuff on display at Lowes and Home Depot but haven't
really looked in to it to see what improvements have been made. I have
looked at the new cell-phone capable autodialers and am very interested in
those. I was kind of put off by the prices for the new stuff.  X10 modules
can be had fairly inexpensively.  I suspect it will be the same for the new
stuff in a short time.