[Coco] OT: COMPUTE's Guide to Adventure Games book

Salvador Garcia ssalvadorgarcia at netscape.net
Fri Apr 17 08:25:23 EDT 2015

Hi all,

First of all, thanks to whoever posted the reference to this book. I located it, downloaded and read it. I just want to share my thoughts about it. The first 7 chapters are basically descriptions of adventure games that were available at the time the book was written. While some of these are a compelling read I was hoping that the author would discuss the design and development of these more.

Chapter 8 provides help and hints on how to solve a game. Chapter 9 is where everything begins to pick up. The author discusses the theory of operation of an adventure game. Chapter 10 really gets cooking as the author presents a breakdown of an adventure game, describing each component and providing pseudo code. Chapter 11 presents a listing of a simple (author's description) text adventure game. The listing is provided in such a way that depending on which computer is available, the reader types in a specific listing.

Finally chapter 12 looks toward the future. This chapter was interesting in its own right as the author ponders on the possibility of having hi definition images. He mentions the resources needed for such an endeavor and does not see it possible for a home computer to have such power. Also, the video disc is mentioned as a possible means to enhance game play.

It was a good read and enjoyed the nature of the games presented.    Now my turn to get philosophical. All the games presented in the book had to do with solving something. While there was the possibility of battle and sword fights I can't help comparing them with the games available today which present a much higher degree of graphic gore and violence. In Google I typed in xbox games and the first items on the list it generated were Grand Theft Auto, Destiny and Call of Duty. It seems to me that when the adventure games described in the book were available were simpler times where there was no need for gore and violence to make a game appealing.

Best regards, Salvador