[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: color computer 2 and fd-501 floppy drive

'Mike Pepe' lamune@doki-doki.net [ColorComputer] ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com
Wed Sep 24 14:59:20 EDT 2014

There are a lot of reasons that may be throwing up I/O errors. Speed is only one of them. The missing pad is definitely something to check.

Can you format a disk in it? Does the head step all the way across the disk? Does it fail on the validation pass? Or do you get I/O errors when doing just about anything?

My first instinct would be to clean the head, clean the contacts on the controller, and try the format disk test.

From: ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com [mailto:ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 3:47 AM
To: ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Color Computer] Re: color computer 2 and fd-501 floppy drive

Have you tried adjusting the speed of the drive?

You'll have to take the case top off to do that, and if you do it the manual way (by using the sticker on the drive motor), you'll have to dismount the drive from the case.

You'll need to look up the service manual for the drive to find the potentiometer to adjust. I would use a non-metallic tool to do the adjustment.

And while you have the drive open, check the pressure pad opposite the head to make sure it is not missing or worn out.

-[ Al ]-