[Coco] vcc and WIDTH command when using HDB-DOS

nickma2 at optusnet.com.au nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Oct 27 23:02:56 EDT 2014

Seems that this thread has been slightly misinterpreted and
misunderstood from what the original message I was trying to convey.

I take some responsibility for possibly being a bit vague but I wasn't
really interested at the time in writing an essay about it.
.

I still believe that Open Source can be a problem in the area of
distribution.

Closed software can keep a lid on how that distribution occurs and
maintains an element of control by the original owner/developer.

Open Software, by it's nature is a free-for-all. People usually end up
doing what they like... and this is where problems can occur.

Not always though. If it's properly done, it works well and provides
bonuses over a closed environment. That's why I like it.

But it can also lead to many versions of software that works under one
environment and not on others, undocumented bugs, poor operation
documentation and also allows vulnerable to exploitation by some to
"steal/borrow" elements of the original code for their own financial
gain. I've seen all these things happen to people who wished they had
never gone open source in the first place. These people feel that the
original vision of the product has been railroaded and taken a
different tact to what they intended. Others complaiin that it makes
it confusing to find a version of the software that works on their
systems and end up pouring hours of time trying to get it working.
People's perception of that particular software is negative when in
actual fact, the original concept was good. It get's worst when the
original architect is called on to fix bugs in "his" software when the
bugs are of someone else's version or hack of the original software.
Or when people gripe of a lack of documentation for a modified version
of the software.

Closed software is more contained and controlled generally and this is
good and bad depending on what your stance is. Some love full access
to everything while others just want to get on with the job.

So, in summary, I like the open source concept. It can work very well
as long as some control is kept on its distribution and that all
versions of software are clearly documented both within the software
itself and on the websites hosting it.

Hope this is a bit clearer of what I was trying to say and I do not
want this to be interpreted as anti-open source.

Nick