[Coco] Plague to DW users ?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 22 20:11:33 EDT 2014

On Wednesday 22 October 2014 18:15:22 Mark McDougall did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On 23/10/2014 5:11 AM, Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) wrote:
> > http://hackaday.com/2014/10/22/watch-that-windows-update-ftdi-drivers
> > -are-killing-fake-chips/
>
> If you read through the links you'll see that the drivers for the
> Prolific USB<->Serial chips randomly BSOD having encountered a fake
> Prolific chip; would explain why I get same on my machine at work!
>
> The problem is, I bought the devices from a 'reputable' computer
> retailer.
>
> Now that it's clear that this is the issue, who do I see to get my
> money back?
>
> Regards,

Still got the bill of sale?  If not, I'd eat it. But the only pl2303
adapter I have has not been used in several years because it had a habit
of throwing away the first byte when hooked to something like a Belkin
ups, which is quite happy at a 1200 baud connection.  Ultra slow, the
prolific must have been going to sleep in between bytes.  Sure did eat my
lunch at the time.  Darned thing was $40 & tax at the shack in about 1998
IIRC. I do not believe it was ever plugged into a winders box.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)