[Coco] Including an SSC

Richard Goedeken Richard at fascinationsoftware.com
Sat Oct 11 02:42:55 EDT 2014

It's interesting to see this discussion going on here now, because it's a
topic that was on my mind a few weeks/months ago.  I'm also writing a game
engine for the Coco 3 and looked into the available audio expansion options.
I have an orchestra 90 and an SSC and explored their capabilities a bit.  I'm
going to support the ORC-90 since it is nice for PCM audio output, but the SSC
is mostly only good for music and speech.  And the music capability is very
rudimentary.  I may add support in the future for the SSC but I had an idea of
designing a more advance microcontroller-based board that could handle PCM
sound and music very well, and reduce CPU load versus driving the internal
Coco DAC.

If the CocoSDC had an expansion header to support this type of device it would
be very nice but I'd rather not wait for another design/test cycle just for
this.  I'm happy with the CocoSDC just for the capabilities that it has, and
if I do find time in the future to design and build my sound card, I don't
mind making it in a traditional cartridge format.

Richard