[Coco] Another installment to my Game Blog

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Oct 6 01:23:05 EDT 2014

On 6/10/2014 3:06 PM, Tony Cappellini wrote:

> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 09:11:06 +1000
> From: Nick Marentes <nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
> <mailto:nickma2 at optusnet.com.au>>
> To: CoCoList <coco at maltedmedia.com <mailto:coco at maltedmedia.com>>
> Subject: [Coco] Another installment to my Game Blog
>
> >>http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nickma/PopstarPilot/16.html
>
> Thanks for the update.
>
> I was just reading this from your game development blog
> "The graphics for the game will be created as I did in the 80's using
> my Commodore Amiga computer running the /Brilliance 2.0/ graphics
> software by Digital Creations. This program can be configured to
> operate with the same pixel and color resolution as the Color Computer."
>
> How do you get the graphics developed on the Amiga onto a Coco disk,
> or into
> your PC so they can be downloaded to your Coco 3 via DW?

I save the image on the Amiga as a PC format 720K disk. I then put the
disk in my PC and transfer the file into a CoCo DSK image and then good
old Drivewire does the rest.

> Other than using the Amiga for the retro experience, what is it about
> the Brilliance 2.0 software that makes you want to use it over a
> program running on the PC that has similar capabilities?

Bang! You nailed it in one!

It's all about the retro experience. The same reason all of us tinker
with an ancient machine from the 80's, run a 30 year old Unix'like OS,
play (and program) vintage games from an age gone by.

If we all just ran "the latest and the greatest", the CoCo and every
other vintage computer and game console would have been dead and buried
a long time ago.

There's still potential in these old machines, things to explore,
challenges to meet.

Regarding Brilliance on the Amiga... I've always used it for creating 2D
graphics which I use in the CoCo games I write. That's what I did back
in the 80's so I just keep that going now. It's still does the job
efficiently and quickly.

As you said, it's about the retro experience. Total immersion!   :)

Nick