[Coco] Does anyone have a Level3 disk that actually boots?

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Nov 29 14:24:41 EST 2014

>To Bill:
>I also used mshell to copy several bits, like a copy of boot_1773_6ms into
>a local directory so I could replace the boot I got when if did a "vfy -sk
>/x1/KERNAL after running the basic09 utility and creating a file for the
>boottrack in the /x1 mounted OS9L3.os9 file.

>But everything I copied with mshell was bad.  Looked like it was grabbing
>the /dd LSN0 but wasn't an exact match.  I have to run mshell without a
>mouse as it doesn't even know I have one. So hitting a c for copy, which
>brings up the menu, and another c to confirm, is not working here.  I get
>a file, but not the contents.

Gene,
First, what version of MShell did you get? Only the latest version works properly.
Next... Were you trying to copy to/from your Linux server hard drive? If so, it has been posted in "almost" every post I've made on MShell that it doesn't work on a Linux server. It works on Windows and Mac file systems but not Linux. I will say I forgot to put this warning in the accompanying text file, but will rectify that as soon as possible.
Something in MShell and Linux are not ticking the same and I can't quite figue out what. All 3 file systems (Win, Mac, & Linux as well as FTP reads) use the exact same DW cmd and should work. They work fine using the dw command from the OS9 cmd line. I think the Linux problem lies in the filtering I have to do to get the drive/filenames and needs to be reworked. I think it is wiping the first "/" from the drive name for some reason.
As a note... the PC to OS9 copies do not set the attributes. This must be done manually until that feature is added to MShell (out of memory at the moment).
Again, it doesn't work on Linux.

If you were copying OS9 to OS9, then I'm at a complete loss as these are "by the book" simple copies and should "Just Work"(tm) regardless of media type (floppy, scsi, ide, mfm, dw, vhd, dsk etc). If OS9 has a driver and can read it, MShell should copy it.
The source side just opens the file for reading using C's "open()", then reads 8k blocks (which it writes to the destination dir) until EOF, then closes both and sets the destination attributes to match the source, then refreshes the destination panel to make the new file show in the list.

Also, MShell still being in beta testing (as stated in the posts), the "error checking" and "error traps" are incomplete (to say the least). If the file already exists, or the source attributes are set for "private", then the results are unpredictable as MShell doesn't check for this. If I remember correctly, the destination file uses C's "creat()" which will overwrite an existing file anyway.

If your problem doesn't fit the above, then email me privately and we'll see what is going on.

If your problem doesn't fit the above, then email me privately and we'll see what is going on.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com