[Coco] Does anyone have a Level3 disk that actually boots?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Nov 29 16:20:55 EST 2014

On Saturday 29 November 2014 14:24:41 Bill Pierce via Coco did opine
And Gene did reply:
> >To Bill:
> >I also used mshell to copy several bits, like a copy of boot_1773_6ms
> >into a local directory so I could replace the boot I got when if did
> >a "vfy -sk /x1/KERNAL after running the basic09 utility and creating
> >a file for the boottrack in the /x1 mounted OS9L3.os9 file.
> >
> >But everything I copied with mshell was bad.  Looked like it was
> >grabbing the /dd LSN0 but wasn't an exact match.  I have to run
> >mshell without a mouse as it doesn't even know I have one. So hitting
> >a c for copy, which brings up the menu, and another c to confirm, is
> >not working here.  I get a file, but not the contents.
>
> Gene,
> First, what version of MShell did you get? Only the latest version
> works properly. Next... Were you trying to copy to/from your Linux
> server hard drive? If so, it has been posted in "almost" every post
> I've made on MShell that it doesn't work on a Linux server. It works
> on Windows and Mac file systems but not Linux. I will say I forgot to
> put this warning in the accompanying text file, but will rectify that
> as soon as possible. Something in MShell and Linux are not ticking the
> same and I can't quite figue out what. All 3 file systems (Win, Mac, &
> Linux as well as FTP reads) use the exact same DW cmd and should work.
> They work fine using the dw command from the OS9 cmd line. I think the
> Linux problem lies in the filtering I have to do to get the
> drive/filenames and needs to be reworked. I think it is wiping the
> first "/" from the drive name for some reason. As a note... the PC to
> OS9 copies do not set the attributes. This must be done manually until
> that feature is added to MShell (out of memory at the moment). Again,
> it doesn't work on Linux.
>

> If you were copying OS9 to OS9,

Yes, I was doing that on the coco3.

> then I'm at a complete loss as these
> are "by the book" simple copies and should "Just Work"(tm) regardless
> of media type (floppy, scsi, ide, mfm, dw, vhd, dsk etc). If OS9 has a
> driver and can read it, MShell should copy it. The source side just
> opens the file for reading using C's "open()", then reads 8k blocks
> (which it writes to the destination dir) until EOF, then closes both
> and sets the destination attributes to match the source, then
> refreshes the destination panel to make the new file show in the list.
>

> Also, MShell still being in beta testing (as stated in the posts), the
> "error checking" and "error traps" are incomplete (to say the least).
> If the file already exists, or the source attributes are set for
> "private", then the results are unpredictable as MShell doesn't check
> for this. If I remember correctly, the destination file uses C's
> "creat()" which will overwrite an existing file anyway.
>

> If your problem doesn't fit the above, then email me privately and
> we'll see what is going on.

Ok, but I have ATM fixed the damages, now I'm rebuilding the repo afte
putting a -F force boottrack re-writes in its parsein section.  I think,
something William A. told me either has a typu or sth.

> If your problem doesn't fit the above, then email me privately and
> we'll see what is going on.
>

> Bill Pierce
> "Today is a good day... I woke up" - Ritchie Havens

> Co-Webmaster of The TRS-80 Color Computer Archive
> http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)