[Coco] Does anyone have a Level3 disk that actually boots?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Nov 29 15:59:46 EST 2014

On Saturday 29 November 2014 14:10:13 Bill Nobel did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Well Gene, I don’t know if this will help. but grab Roberts boot file
> from my repo here:
>
> https://github.com/bnobel/Nitros9-Level-3
> <https://github.com/bnobel/Nitros9-Level-3>
>
> It boots perfectly in VCC with a â€کemudsk’ VHD, and raw disk rom (no
> DW). I know you are trying to make a bootfile on a real floppy, but I
> myself have not successfully modified the boot. I do boot and use it
> for my disassembly, as I do use a â€کemudsk’ VHD as my main Coco3
> (under VCC, don’t have a real Coco3).  Which of course gives me
> access, of course to all my files in L3.  It works very cool the
> system map has a lot more room.
>
> Once I figure out exactly what Alan did I am merging that code to
> V3.3.0 source.  Then I can start to play with modifying the boot.
>
> Bill Nobel

Well, ATM I am burned out as I've put about 6 hours in this today just
trying to make a boot disk on a 35trk ss floppy.  But the last problem I
just hit it that even if I write the first sector of the boottrack full of
E5's so it looks like raw formatted disk, os9gen is steadfastly refusing
to install a new boottrack.

I thought my os9gen was the latest, but its been a couple years since I
updated the copy on my hd.  If that doesn't fix the -t=file option so it
just don't care & writes it regardless of whats there, I don't know what
to do next.  Everything I try to do to make a boot disk discloses yet
another failure.

So I am, against my better judgement doing a make dsk in the root of the
repo, and because I have listings enabled, it will take quite a while as
it scrolls about 10Gb across my screen here. If, when I have installed the
latest L2 cmds, os9gen is still broken, I will go kick its tires & see if
I can add a -f option, to force it to overwrite whatever it finds there.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)