[Coco] DWTCPDevice cannot be cast to DWSerialDevice

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Nov 16 15:35:19 EST 2014

On Sunday 16 November 2014 15:15:14 Jens did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Am 16.11.2014 um 20:56 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> >> I would like to use DriveWire under LinuxMint 17 with XRoar and run
> >> into this error message:
> >>
> >> com.groupunix.drivewireserver.dwprotocolhandler.DWTCPDevice cannot
> >> be cast to
> >> com.groupunix.drivewireserver.dwprotocolhandler.DWSerialDevice
> >
> > This is from the Mint 17 install, or from xroar?
> >
> > I ask because the server has only had one problem running on this
> > older buntu machine.
>
> Linux Mint 17 is based on Ubuntu 14.04 ... So it's not old ;)
>
> The error is from DriveWire Server. XRoar works fine, i tested the
> becker interface with the DWLOAD roms with my implementation.
>
> Mfg.
>
> Jens

I would arm myself with root privileges and go hunt down the udev rule
that sets permission on the port you want to use, probably set to
root:root by default, and make it accessible to you as user and group.

ISTR I found them by grepping the devices mfg:id numbers of my Belkin UPS
and gave that port permission to be used by nut because I was starting up
nut for the first time in this install of 10.04.4 LTS. For drivewire, you
will have to find the port it does use, and change that as there is likely
more than one usb-seriel adapter with the same id if your usb tree looks
anything like mine.

If it is the only one, then that would make it pretty easily done as it
would Just Work regardless of the port it is physically plugged into.
udev would find it and set it up correctly when you plug in the cable.  I
didn't even have to reboot, I just unplugged it, saw that dmesg said it
was gone, then plugged it in again.  udev set it up again, this time
according to the changed rule. Nut and I are both happy.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)