[Coco] Accessing the serial port from Basic

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Thu Nov 13 16:50:54 EST 2014

Because the CoCo does not have a built-in UART chip, you really can't do
bidirectional I/O from Basic.  It's just not fast enough to send and
receive individual bits serially, without ML routines handling the actual
bit-banging.  (If you only want to send, not receive, then PRINT#-2 will do
that.)  If you have an RS232 Pak, then Basic may be adequate for
bidirectional serial I/O.

A number of BBS programs had the ML running in the background with Basic
handling a lot of stuff.  You might be able to adapt such a program to do
what you want.

Art