[Coco] Last video I promise... :)

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 12 02:48:39 EST 2014

On 12/11/2014 6:29 PM, Camillus Blockx wrote:

> Now, in case if it is possible, a faster , larger fpga could add
> maybe a few shortcomings ( Parallelport, rs232, ps2Kb(just to name a
> few)), and that would maybe justify the higher cost for the fpga.

The current design samples the video RGB output and has no bus interface
to the Coco itself, so features as you've described are not possible
with the current architecture.

> Now the big question, would it be possible to redesign your project
> to give te needed speed for the better vga port, plus the added ports
> I mentioned, and what FPGA chip/board wouldthat need?

The use of SDRAM in the design (for the frame buffer) is a limiting
factor in the speed of the design. In general the cheaper FPGA's are
limited to around 150MHz for all but finely-tuned designs - ultimately
the speed is dependent not only on the device, but also the logic you're
trying to implement.

Another limiting factor (speed) is the use of a discrete successive
comparator design in the FPGA itself for the ADC's.

A lot of these issues would disappear with a TVP7002 (USD$7.63 from
digikey). However it's not a trivial device to integrate into your
design (eg. 100 pins). OTOH the jitter and quality would no longer be
issues, and you could probably get away with a simple line buffer and
I2C configuration module in a much smaller FPGA.

I have mentioned all this before on this list.

Regards,