[Coco] Last video I promise... :)

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 12 02:55:42 EST 2014

On 12/11/2014 6:29 PM, Camillus Blockx wrote:

> Now, in case if it is possible, a faster , larger fpga could add
> maybe a few shortcomings ( Parallelport, rs232, ps2Kb(just to name a
> few)), and that would maybe justify the higher cost for the fpga.

There are a couple of approaches to adding VGA output:

* A drop-in replacement for the GIME
* Bus snooping and replicating the GIME functionality on the cartridge port
* Sampling of the analogue signal and regeneration of VGA (Luis' current
approach).

What you're suggesting would be feasible using approach #2 above. Note
that parallel port, RS232 & PS2 keybd are very simple to implement and
would not require much in the way of speed or logic resources in an FPGA.

If you really wanted to use a brute-force approach and throw some
serious FPGA silicon at it, then prices start to get way out of the
realm of the hobbyist very quickly. The FPGA we used in our video board
*starts* at USD$586 with the faster options around USD$1,181 EACH. If
you won the lottery, you can buy USD$15K devices.

Regards,