[Coco] usb keyboard for coco 2 / coco 2

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Nov 8 17:20:35 EST 2014

On Saturday 08 November 2014 15:05:01 Steven Hirsch did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Sat, 8 Nov 2014, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I have several ps2 keyboards including the legendary IBM clacker that
> > could be used in place of the biblical jawbone of an ass, and when
> > the battle had been won, plugged in and used as if it had never been
> > unplugged.
>
> Heh. I have maybe 15-20 Type M IBM keyboards in the garage.  You could
> indeed use one to perform wallboard demolition without affecting
> functionality in any significant way.  They also happen to be the only
> keyboards I can type accurately on.

The only place I can't use one very handily is in the shop, where the gaps
between keys, with the tapered sides on the key cap, do like most other
keyboards, fills up with flying swarf swarf & locks a key down. It still
happens, but thats one of the reasons I use a $9 keyboard, if a key sticks
and my air hose can't clear it, I don't tear up dropping it in the waste
can.  A locked arrow or [,] pgup or pgdn key can wreck machinery for you.

What we need there is a silicon cover because the silicon will just laugh
at an 1100F (quite visibly red hot) bit of flying swarf, and you just peel
it off & put it back on to clean house.  But keyboard covers with the
multiplicity of styles of keyboards today, have fallen by the wayside.

Keyboards with the "chicklets" square keys are almost ideal because the
key sides are straight up & down & swarf doesn't tend to get wedged in
nearly as easily.  But even at big lots, I haven't seen one of those in
yonks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)