[Coco] OS-9 is not for me

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Nov 8 00:15:31 EST 2014

On 8/11/2014 11:25 AM, Jason Law wrote:

> Absolutely, and FTR I only shared the concept and Nick's code is his
> own. There was no agro in what I wrote. I kept it short to not make a
> big deal of it, not to be short :) Just a few other things here and
> there got me thinking perhaps you were somewhat annoyed at my efforts
> and if so, offer to clear it up, nothing more :) Happy to leave it at
> that.

I wasn't annoyed at the slightest. I think it's great that people
develop for the CoCo. And I don't hold the badge for the greatest CoCo
programmer, I can think of several others who could take that. If I am
good at something though it is that I can see a project right through to
the end... in most cases. Many stop when the challenge has ended whereas
I believe it's not finished until it's finished.

> For sure. As mine too uses split-screen by switching the HVEN register
> to 0 for the scoreboard section and to 128+ for the scrolling section.
> I worked it out by thinking if I had to copy the scoreboard area
> across each frame to make it appear static I could do it quicker if I
> reduced the mode to 4 colors for the scoreboard section so I had the
> scan line counter already setup for that when I got the idea to try
> it. And you did that before I did, unbeknown to me :) If I had seen
> your work first, I would have mentioned that in my posts for sure.
> Both the horizontal scrolling and the split-screen are fairly simple
> concepts, getting it from concept to functioning code is the where the
> hours go.

As I said, great minds think alike... hang on... now I AM rubbing my own
ego!   :)

>> If it makes you feel better, I'm happy to say to everyone that "Hardware
>> horizontal scroll was invented by you". I really don't care for that
>> whole ownership thing and neither does John. It takes more than that to
>> swell my head.
>
> Ok, that's harsh but I'm not going to bite, that's just you
> misunderstanding where I was coming from and it's DEFINITELY not what
> I was getting at. Nor do I as I had shared the details openly for
> anyone who wanted to have a go at it. I have no problem at all with
> anyone using it, the demos and info were intended to inspire/encourage
> exactly that :)

There were a few of us "aroused" by your comment but now we see that the
fault has been in the interpretation.

Don't ya love newsgroups?!   :)

All good and no hard feelings. Now let's all get back to "CoCo'ing"!   :)

Nick