[Coco] OS-9 is not for me

Jason Law jmlaw at iprimus.com.au
Fri Nov 7 20:25:32 EST 2014

Nick wrote:

<snip>

>The important thing to highlight is that I have not created it by
>looking at someone elses code. My code is my code, your code is your
>code... the outcomes are very similar.

Absolutely, and FTR I only shared the concept and Nick's code is his own.
There was no agro in what I wrote. I kept it short to not make a big deal of
it, not to be short :) Just a few other things here and there got me
thinking perhaps you were somewhat annoyed at my efforts and if so, offer to
clear it up, nothing more :) Happy to leave it at that.

>I prefer to see it as... "Great minds think alike".

For sure. As mine too uses split-screen by switching the HVEN register to 0
for the scoreboard section and to 128+ for the scrolling section. I worked
it out by thinking if I had to copy the scoreboard area across each frame to
make it appear static I could do it quicker if I reduced the mode to 4
colors for the scoreboard section so I had the scan line counter already
setup for that when I got the idea to try it. And you did that before I did,
unbeknown to me :) If I had seen your work first, I would have mentioned
that in my posts for sure. Both the horizontal scrolling and the
split-screen are fairly simple concepts, getting it from concept to
functioning code is the where the hours go.

>If it makes you feel better, I'm happy to say to everyone that "Hardware
>horizontal scroll was invented by you". I really don't care for that
>whole ownership thing and neither does John. It takes more than that to
>swell my head.

Ok, that's harsh but I'm not going to bite, that's just you misunderstanding
where I was coming from and it's DEFINITELY not what I was getting at. Nor
do I as I had shared the details openly for anyone who wanted to have a go
at it. I have no problem at all with anyone using it, the demos and info
were intended to inspire/encourage exactly that :)

>I just want to write a game and have fun.

>Nick

Absolutely, I'm the same. Best of luck with your game.

Jason