[Coco] To Dennis: Message formatting issues with Mailman Archiver

Torsten Dittel OS-9 at TRS-80.CC
Mon May 26 10:16:59 EDT 2014

Bad enough http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.tandy.coco is still
not working (it stopped archiving the messages a week ago), so I have to
open a new thread each time I post:

Dennis,

could it be the following Class Variables in Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py
have been changed when you updated Mailman which now causes messages
staying unwrapped:

class HyperArchive(pipermail.T):
# [...]
# some defaults
# [...]
ALLOWHTML = 0             # "Lines between <html></html>" handled as is.
SHOWHTML = 1              # Eg, nuke leading whitespace in html manner.
IQUOTES = 1               # Italicize quoted text.
SHOWBR = 1                # Add <br> onto every line

The above setting is what I assume had been active before the update, at
least if I look at this (maybe outdated) code:

def format_article(self, article):
          # called from add_article
          # TBD: Why do the HTML formatting here and keep it in the
          # pipermail database?  It makes more sense to do the html
          # formatting as the article is being written as html and toss
          # the data after it has been written to the archive file.
          lines = filter(None, article.body)
          # Handle <HTML> </HTML> directives
          if self.ALLOWHTML:
              self.__processbody_HTML(lines)