[Coco] Colorcomputerarchive harmful behavior

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu May 29 18:27:03 EDT 2014

On May 29, 2014 5:46 PM, "Tormod Volden" <lists.tormod at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 12:17 AM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> > Who runs this site?  Can anyone get in touch with them and ask them to
> > please stop distributing outdated versions of software created and
> > maintained by other people?
> >
> > Its one thing to be an "archive" of software that is no longer under
> > development, but distributing out of date versions of current projects
does
> > nobody any good.  That's why active projects nearly always insist on
> > coordinated mirrors (or do not allow mirrors at all).
>
> Hehe,
> https://sites.google.com/site/drivewire4/download
> Looks like somebody is distributed outdated versions of NitrOS-9...

Yes.. But with the following huge disclaimer front and center:

" The disk images below are provided only for convenience and are not kept
updated.  For current and additional disks to use with DriveWire, visit the
NitrOS <http://nitros9.sourceforge.net/latest/>-9 nightly builds.
<http://nitros9.sourceforge.net/latest/>"

I will remove them entirely now though, they were only there because for a
while the nightlies were not working.
I never liked it, but that is one of the cases of lesser evil.

> Couldn't resist :p
>
> On a more serious note, for anyone landing at
> http://drivewireserver.sourceforge.net/ or
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/drivewireserver/ it is not so obvious
> that one should *not* click on "Files" to get the official files.

Yeah. That is a historical thing.  The software we call DriveWire 4 was not
originally called DriveWire (nor intended to be the next drivewire). DW4
came to be long after that sourceforge site was created and set up for the
original code base (v3 and prior).  At some point I was given access to it
and we pushed the DW4 code into the same CVS repo as the original DriveWire
project but I've never really sorted it out.   Even the directory structure
in the repo makes no sense at all. I probably should fix that.   And move
to a better repo type.  And write some documentation.  We'll see.. :)