[Coco] NitrOS-9 Wiki

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 04:37:33 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 1:19 AM, Greg Law wrote:
> Tormod Volden wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 4:22 AM, Greg Law wrote:
>
>>> I think it's time to move on from Sourceforge. I don't see anything other
>>> than downhill from here.
>>

>> True. Suggestions?
>

> I think the pain is finding a host that supports a Linux build environment
> that can be leveraged to build NitrOS-9 dynamically. At least I assume
> NitrOS-9 is being built directly on sourceforge. As much as I prefer
> Mercurial, there are lot more Git hosts than Mercurial hosts and the bulk of
> them do nothing more than host the repository.

No, NitrOS-9 is not built on SourceForge. Some maintainer (lately it
has been me) builds locally and uploads a "nightly" build from time to
time. This is done by running a script so it is not much work. The
reason it is not done more often is that there are not often changes
to the code.

There are some services that offer automated builds (launchpad.net,
build.opensuse.org) and although they are meant for building
distribution packages of software to be run on e.g Linux, it would be
possible to "abuse" them to build NitrOS-9 images as well. The images
would end up inside .deb or .rpm files though. Anyway, with the
current rate of the NitrOS-9 development and the numbers of people who
would use these images, I wouldn't go out of my way to make this work
automated.

SourceForge is great, with shell access, bug trackers, an army of
engineers to keep wheels running etc, it is just that they change
things too often and too carelessly and there is a trend towards less
and poorer services.

Tormod