[Coco] NitrOS-9 Wiki

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Jun 28 20:31:16 EDT 2014

On Saturday 28 June 2014 19:19:13 Greg Law did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Tormod Volden wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 4:22 AM, Greg Law wrote:
> >> I think it's time to move on from Sourceforge. I don't see anything
> >> other than downhill from here.
> >
> > True. Suggestions?
>
> I think the pain is finding a host that supports a Linux build
> environment that can be leveraged to build NitrOS-9 dynamically. At
> least I assume NitrOS-9 is being built directly on sourceforge. As
> much as I prefer Mercurial, there are lot more Git hosts than
> Mercurial hosts and the bulk of them do nothing more than host the
> repository.

What pain?  Since I keep old versions around too for reference, I have
been using this bash script for at least a year, to build Nitros9 fresh
each time, along with lwtools and toolshed. On a 10mbit pipe, is about 6
to 7 minutes to run on this quad core but slow phenom.

#!/bin/bash
# since I'm always forgetting to sudo...
if [ `whoami` != 'root' ]; then
	echo
	echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
	echo "this script needs to be run by root"
	echo
	echo
	exit 1
fi
mv lwtools lwtools-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M)
hg clone http://lwtools.projects.l-w.ca/hg/ lwtools
cd lwtools
make
make install
cd ..
echo
echo
echo "lwtools has been built, next is toolshed"
echo
echo
chown -R gene:www-data lwtools # make visible to the web
mv toolshed toolshed-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M)
hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/toolshed/code toolshed
cd toolshed
make -C build/unix install
cd hdbdos
make
cd ../..
chown -R gene:www-data toolshed # make visible to the web
echo
echo
echo "toolshed has been built and installed, next is nitros9"
echo
echo
mv nitros9 nitros9-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M)
hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/nitros9/code nitros9
cd nitros9
hg update lwtools-port # this step is temporarily needed
export NITROS9DIR=$PWD
mkdir dsks # this step is temporarily needed
make dsk
make dskcopy
cd ..
chown -R gene:www-data nitros9
echo
echo
echo "this completes the build of lwtools, toolshed, and nitros9"

And you can see these on my web page.  However, my coco3 and dw4 are on
the outs, I blew something in the bit banger last winter, so I haven't ran
this script recently.  That means whats on my web page is probably stale
and should NOT be used.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)