[Coco] NitrOS-9 Wiki

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jun 29 07:52:19 EDT 2014

On Sunday 29 June 2014 04:37:33 Tormod Volden did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 1:19 AM, Greg Law wrote:
> > Tormod Volden wrote:

> >> True. Suggestions?
> >
> > I think the pain is finding a host that supports a Linux build
> > environment that can be leveraged to build NitrOS-9 dynamically. At
> > least I assume NitrOS-9 is being built directly on sourceforge. As
> > much as I prefer Mercurial, there are lot more Git hosts than
> > Mercurial hosts and the bulk of them do nothing more than host the
> > repository.
>
> No, NitrOS-9 is not built on SourceForge. Some maintainer (lately it
> has been me) builds locally and uploads a "nightly" build from time to
> time. This is done by running a script so it is not much work. The
> reason it is not done more often is that there are not often changes
> to the code.
>
> There are some services that offer automated builds (launchpad.net,
> build.opensuse.org) and although they are meant for building
> distribution packages of software to be run on e.g Linux, it would be
> possible to "abuse" them to build NitrOS-9 images as well. The images
> would end up inside .deb or .rpm files though. Anyway, with the
> current rate of the NitrOS-9 development and the numbers of people who
> would use these images, I wouldn't go out of my way to make this work
> automated.
>
> SourceForge is great, with shell access, bug trackers, an army of
> engineers to keep wheels running etc, it is just that they change
> things too often and too carelessly and there is a trend towards less
> and poorer services.
>
> Tormod

As has been noted on several other mailing lists. Linuxcnc has also been a
victim of sourceforge, so often that about 5 years ago, Sherline, who
makes small lathes and milling machines, is now supplying the servers for
our wiki & web portals at their companies site. This includes an apt
repository that allows us to use update-manager for new release
distribution. Which for linuxcnc is several times a week because there is
always new development going on.

TBT, once setup, maintenance is minimal & the only expense is the power
the machine consumes in a 24/7 uptime situation such as I do here,
currently 72d+ since the last reboot.  Traffic to my site is a very small
percentage of my use, so even if I was doing some advertising, I couldn't
write off any significant portion as a business expense, currently paying
about $40 for a 10 meg down, 2.5 up circuit from my local cable provider,
which also supplies my landline phone.

At my age, looking at 80 shortly, I don't think I should try & replace
sourceforge as surely they will be here longer.  But someone in our coco
world surely is young enough and linux savvy enough to undertake supplying
the service AND the namecheap fees & bandwidth to do it. Perhaps an annual
membership fee could be setup to cover catastrophic expenses, like a
machine failure, which would represent close to $800 to replace this one,
but if a dedicated machine was built just to do the server, that would not
cost anywhere near that.  This is something that a $300 Atom powered box
could do easily.  And its power consumption is under 100 watts too.

Perhaps this could be discussed at the next "last" fest?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)