[Coco] Copy a file from a DW4 virtual disk to a windows directory

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Jul 10 18:17:20 EDT 2014

Nick Marentes wrote:
> I've always used Drivewire as an emulation of standard CoCo floppy drives.
>
> We seem to expand our machines to a point where we start making it into
> something beyond the original architecture which plays havoc with newcomers
> coming in to the community that are (or should!) be starting at ground zero and
> working their way up from there... and understanding how the evolution has
> occurred.
>
> I keep my CoCo standard and in the original spirit of the CoCo as best as possible.
>
> Nick

Well it may look like Drivewire does emulation of floppies but it clearly can't
when all I/O goes via the serial port. :) That's why some programs will not work
with Drivewire since they contain their own disk I/O routines and expect disk
hardware not a serial port.

Programs that use the ROM routines for disk access won't be affected because
they will see the patched routines in the DW HDBDOS. Programs like my patched
Disk EDTASM work because they toggle between RAM and ROM when doing disk I/O and
also see the patched DW HDBDOS routines.

What is needed on both sides, user and software writer, is adequate easily found
documentation that is read by users before trying software. We would save
ourselves much grief if that were followed.
It is easy to see by reading much of the listserver mail, that questions are not
carefully formulated and many times would have been answered by existing
documentation. The first question anyone should ask when having problems is,
"Where can I find the documentation for xxx software?"

Robert