[Coco] 5-1/4″ DS DD 80 track drive, 300 RPM mod

Kandur k at qdv.pw
Wed Jul 2 22:39:45 EDT 2014

> Kandur wrote:
>> Many thanks Robert, you saved me a huge amount of wild goose chase.
>> My goal is to restore a 1989 scsi hard drive backup set on  floppies to an
>> actual scsi hard drive, connected to the Coco-3.

> You will need to indicate what was on the SCSI drive and how that was
> transferred to floppies. For example, if the
> hard drive was formatted so that
> the first part was OS-9 and the second part was
> multiple 35-track Basic
> floppies, that is a Ken-Ton RGBDOS system and it won't be a problem.
> If the the original hard drive had some other
> format, then you will probably
> need to copy files rather than using a Backup command.

There could be a bit of misunderstanding regarding the HD restore.
Don't really care where to restore the backup, as long as
the files can be accessed and I can copy them somewhere.
> You need to be specific about what your system
> was and what you want your new
> system to be. This group can't provide help in a vacuum.

The system consisted of a Coco-3, MPU, J&M FD and Owl Ware HD controllers.
2x5.25" DS DD 80T 300rpm floppy drives and 2x100MB CDC Wren SCSI HDs,
running OS-9 L2. Can't remember, how was the HD formatted.
>> I have the original
>> controllers for this. DW was new to me and a pleasant surprise.
>> I made a copy of one of my backup diskettes to a wd4 virtual floppy,
>> using hdb-dos, but have no way to confirm that, if it is good or not.
> Again where is the detail? What format did you
> use for the DW4 virtual floppy?
> Did you copy files or use a backup command? Was
> it a Basic or OS-9 transfer?

Just followed these instructions:
"An example, to copy a disk from the CoCo to the PC:
Step 1. Mount a blank .dsk image in Drive 0 of the server on your PC .
Step 2. Type DRIVE#0 to switch to the virtual drive 0 (this is the default).
Step 3. Type DRIVE OFF 0 to turn off virtual disk 0 on drive 0 and turn on
	floppy drive 0 connected to your CoCo.
Step 4. Insert your floppy into the CoCo's floppy disk drive 0 and type BACKUP 0 TO 1
The DriveWire and HDB-DOS will then transfer the contents of the real floppy
to the virtual disk 1 in the drive 0 slot."
>> It still eludes me, how to copy  wd4 virtual floppies to a real floppies
>> or to a hard drive drive on the Coco, running nos-9. Is it possible at all?
> Of course it is possible. However, we can't
> answer hypothetical questions. Post
> a specific question with details of all disks
> and files, virtual and real, if
> you want an answer.

Come to think of it, I don't need that for the restoration.
>> Unless I get hold of a headless version of nos-9 L2 floppy or dw image,
>> where the console defaults to /T1 @ 9600 baud, can't use Dsave,
>> due to my 128k ram limitation. I tried it. My last resort is to buy a
>> $50 + shipping 512k ram upgrade for my 'like new' $45 Coco-3.
>> Kandur
> You are severely handicapped because of the
> small amount of memory on the Coco3.
> However, that should not prevent transferring
> the contents of a DW4 virtual disk
> to a real floppy on the Coco.
> It will make it very difficult to run NitrOS-9 on the Coco3 system.

You are absolutely right, I can't even edit the boot list, run scripts,
make a new boot disk, change descriptors, etc. with all those modules
in the stock repo disk images. That's why I need a stripped down,
no graphics, sound, joysticks, etc. L2 boot disk, where the console
defaults to /T1 @ 9600 baud terminal. I made one of this, way back when,
worked great with my stock 128k Coco-3.
> Robert

Kandur