[Coco] 5-1/4″ DS DD 80 track drive, 300 RPM mod

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed Jul 2 19:43:36 EDT 2014

Kandur wrote:
> Many thanks Robert, you saved me a huge amount of wild goose chase.
> My goal is to restore a 1989 scsi hard drive backup set on  floppies to an
> actual scsi hard drive, connected to the Coco-3.

You will need to indicate what was on the SCSI drive and how that was
transferred to floppies. For example, if the hard drive was formatted so that
the first part was OS-9 and the second part was multiple 35-track Basic
floppies, that is a Ken-Ton RGBDOS system and it won't be a problem.
If the the original hard drive had some other format, then you will probably
need to copy files rather than using a Backup command.

You need to be specific about what your system was and what you want your new
system to be. This group can't provide help in a vacuum.

> I have the original
> controllers for this. DW was new to me and a pleasant surprise.
> I made a copy of one of my backup diskettes to a wd4 virtual floppy,
> using hdb-dos, but have no way to confirm that, if it is good or not.

Again where is the detail? What format did you use for the DW4 virtual floppy?
Did you copy files or use a backup command? Was it a Basic or OS-9 transfer?

> It still eludes me, how to copy  wd4 virtual floppies to a real floppies
> or to a hard drive drive on the Coco, running nos-9. Is it possible at all?

Of course it is possible. However, we can't answer hypothetical questions. Post
a specific question with details of all disks and files, virtual and real, if
you want an answer.

> Unless I get hold of a headless version of nos-9 L2 floppy or dw image,
> where the console defaults to /T1 @ 9600 baud, can't use Dsave,
> due to my 128k ram limitation. I tried it. My last resort is to buy a
> $50 + shipping 512k ram upgrade for my 'like new' $45 Coco-3.
>
> Kandur

You are severely handicapped because of the small amount of memory on the Coco3.
However, that should not prevent transferring the contents of a DW4 virtual disk
to a real floppy on the Coco.
It will make it very difficult to run NitrOS-9 on the Coco3 system.

Robert