[Coco] Problems with New Boot for VCC and Nitros9

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Jan 20 19:23:43 EST 2014

Tormod,
The EmiDsk boot is simple. You use the "standard" floppy boot *40d_1.dsk & *80d.dsk) with ddd0.dd replaced with ddh0.dd. Then add the EmuDsk.dr
These all are installed in the RBF section before the "rb1773",."/d0", "/d1" etc.
The files are:

EmuDsk.dr
ddh0.dd
h0.dd

The files are located in the "3rdparty/drivers/emudsk" directory in the repo. The build script builds these files but does nothing with them The "h1.dd" file found there is for special versions of Mess and is not needed unless doing a Mess boot too which is basically the same as VCC but with the addition of "h1.dd".

Only the Level 2 boot is needed. Xroar accesses the vhd via dw and has no use for emudsk.
An example of placement in the boot:

RBF
EmuDsk.dr
ddh0.dd
h0.dd
rb1773.dr
d0.dd
d1.dd
d2.dd

Also, VCC uses the Cloud9 clock module.

It's just that simple :-)
This is why I've never understood why it hasn't been done. Especially with the files being built already. They were even listed in the bootlist scripts that are in the "NITROS9/6x09L2/BOOTLISTS" directory but were recently removed. They were:

* EmuDsk Driver
*../MODULES/RBF/emudsk.dr
* EmuDsk H0 as DD
*./MODULES/RBF/ddh0.dd
* EmuDsk H0 Descriptor
*./MODULES/RBF/h0.dd
* EmuDsk H1 Descriptor\
*./MODULES/RBF/h1.dd

I modify every pull I make so that when I "make dsk", these files are added to "NITROS9/6x09L2/MODULES/RBF" directory on every level 2 boot disk so that I can build emudsk boots when I need to.

So far, I think I've created over 60 boot disks and bootable VHDs for other people in the past 3 years. This is why I say it is needed, as I've been doing it manually for a lot of people.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com