[Coco] CoCo 2 with Random Characters on Screen at Power Up

Brian Blake random.rodder at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 14:42:06 EST 2014

How did you swap the CPU?

Once when I swapped out a 6809 for a 6309 I had a similar problem, which
had two causes. I accidentally cut a trace under the socket when I was
removing the 6809. I didn't find it until I started investigating why
the CoCo's screen looked like an ASCII jigsaw puzzle. Once I fixed that,
I still had the problem - which turned out to be a bad CPU. Either
caused by the cut trace or it was just a bad CPU - it happens.