[Coco] CoCo 2 with Random Characters on Screen at Power Up

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Thu Jan 16 16:35:40 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Brian Blake <random.rodder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Once when I swapped out a 6809 for a 6309 I had a similar problem, which had
> two causes. I accidentally cut a trace under the socket when I was removing
> the 6809. I didn't find it until I started investigating why the CoCo's
> screen looked like an ASCII jigsaw puzzle. Once I fixed that, I still had
> the problem - which turned out to be a bad CPU. Either caused by the cut
> trace or it was just a bad CPU - it happens.

For which reason, Danny, I'd recommend not just seeing that the same
thing happens when you swap in the 6809 from the working machine to
the nonworking CoCo, but also checking to make sure the 6809 from the
nonworking CoCo works okay when swapped into the working one.  With
these symptoms, the 6809 is a prime suspect.

An always good possibility to check is that there's a bent-under pin
somewhere.  Easy to miss if you're not very careful.  Though the fact
that the machine worked okay for a few days would indicate that's not
what the original problem was.

Art