[Coco] Most expensive coco1

Steve Batson steve at batsonphotography.com
Wed Jan 15 21:54:49 EST 2014

I learned how to type on a manual typewriter in 7th and 8th Grade where you had to press the keys down quite far to strike the paper. Then moved to an electric typewriter in high school. I've been a touch typist ever since I first learned. My first Coco was a CoCo 1 F Board system. I absolutely hated the feel and cheesiness of the Chicklet keyboard on the CoCo and anything else I saw it and then and up to now. One of the first hacks I did to my CoCo 1 was to wire in a real keyboard I bought at Radio Shack, I think it was a surplus Model 1 Keyboard (I think). I got a hold of the keyboard Matrix carefully wired up the new keyboard and had a plastic sheet cut to make the keyboard look like it was made for the CoCo. The look and feel of the keyboard and computer was much nicer! I also bought a project box from Radio Shack and a Numeric keypad and wired up a cable to the keyboard matrix and fed it out the back so I could plug in the numeric keypad. Anyway, I type much faster on a real keyboard. When I purchased my new iMac in 2012, I soon replaced the chicklet keyboard with an older full sized Apple Keyboard.

I guess to each is own, i just find it easer to keep my hands on the keys and find the keys as a touch typist with a normal keyboard which most systems have. When you work on many systems as I have over the years, having normal keyboards on everything makes it easier to move from one system to another.

My 2 cents :)