[Coco] Another ROMable NitrOS9 question

billg999 at cs.uofs.edu billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Mon Jan 13 10:15:09 EST 2014

Since getting DriveWire working I have been having some fun with
NitrOS9 on a COCO2.  (Side Note:  Yes, it was eko=1 that caused
most of my troubles and adding xmode commands to fix it to the
startup file was an acceptable work around.  Still a problem with
the information that inetd puts out on startup keeping me from
running it in the background but one problem at a time!)  That is,
I was having fun until I discovered that there isn't enough memory
in a 64K COCO2 to actually do anything in NitrOS9.  Can't run the
C-Compiler, can't run Basic09.  So, I guess I will be going back to
using the COOC3 for any real development work I do.

But, this brought up another interesting idea in my head.  Has anyone
ever considered putting together a ROMed version of NitrOS9 to replace
the built in BASIC ROM in the COCO1 and COCO2?  I would think that an
equivalent to the NitrOS9 boot provided with DriveWire images could
easily be fit into the 16K ROM space leaving 48K for users to run programs.

Comments?

bill