[Coco] Another ROMable NitrOS9 question

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Jan 13 13:30:53 EST 2014

Bill,
Running the C compiler in Level 1 with drivewire is tricky. Matter of fact, it was tricky in the 80s with vanilla OS-9 L1. It was easy to get your boot too large for the compiler to run.
You have to strip you boot down to as little as you can get by with. I had to play around with several boots before I could get to work on my 64k Coco 1 "F" board.
You have to use the 32 col screen as the "cohr" hi res driver (51 col) takes up too much memory, Use only the disk drivers & descriptors you can get by with, eliminate all the "/n", "/z" drivers and descriptors, and eliminate the pipes and printer drivers. I even take out the floppy drivers as I don't use them.
The problem is that the dw drivers and subs take up a lot of precious memory.
If you use level 2 to compile for level 1, remember to use the defs, headers and libraries from level 1 or you'll end up with level 2 system calls in a level 1 prorgam.

The source for the level 1 dw drivers needs to be checked as the level 2 drivers have the EKO turned off. I haven't run into theis problem but I've yet to check the latest level 1 & 2 builds on my Coco 1 & 2.

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com