[Coco] Another Radio Shack Article

Boisy Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Sun Jan 5 11:16:38 EST 2014

Art,

The former Radio Shack/Tandy higher-ups that I interviewed for the book pretty much conceded that fact. . John Roach’s quote in the book says it all, in my opinion.

The fact that people were using the original CoCo for things other than games initially surprised them. Dr. John Patterson makes that obvious in his quote in the book too.

The CoCo was always intended to be sold as a low entry computer. Then when OS-9 came, along with the programming languages that Radio Shack sold for it, a strange mixture of professionalism was added to the mix. I think it gave the appearance that Radio Shack and Tandy were sending mixed signals about the machine.

I dare say that in most Radio Shack stores, the CoCo (even the CoCo 3) didn’t stand a chance to be competitive as a serious computer compared to the Tandy 1000 offerings. The model of buying a computer then adding a disk drive and operating system as additional priced add-ons paled in comparison to the neatly packaged MS-DOS/DeskMate package offered right alongside the CoCo. Irrespective of how powerful OS-9 was vis a vis MS-DOS, that alone doomed the CoCo 3, IMO.

Tandy had its CoCo advocates, Mark Siegel and Barry Thompson, but I think they would admit that they were fighting a growing tide of PC encroachment which eventually felled the CoCo 3.

Best regards.
Boisy G. Pitre | Founder
Phone 337.781.3570