[Coco] Another Radio Shack Article

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Sun Jan 5 11:49:01 EST 2014

I think that's the key point we need to remember, that PC DOS systems, and,
later, PC Windows systems, were destined not just to win, but dominate.
This was not isolated to Tandy's stuff, of course, but the whole industry.
Let's also not forget that no 8-bit really lasted beyond the early 1990s,
with the last significant 8-bit brands rolling off the production line by
1993 or 1994, depending upon region, and even then they were already many
years past their prime and mostly produced for specialty purposes
(educational markets or for smaller European countries). The fact that the
CoCo series lasted through 1990 is nothing to sneeze at in that regard. I'm
sure outside of the C-64, Apple II, ZX Spectrum, and Atari 8-bit
communities, every other 8-bit community would gladly trade places with
that end-of-life date (and those platforms only lasted a few years beyond
the CoCo). In fact, if you think about it, even the Amiga and Atari ST
didn't last beyond 1993/1994, respectively, and they were a whole different
class of system. In retrospect, there was simply no way to change what was
going to happen. At best, the CoCo platform could have eeked out a few more
years, but they wouldn't necessarily have been good years.

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade,
Inc.<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1>and