[Coco] Another Radio Shack Article

Greg Law glaw at live.com
Sat Jan 4 18:58:03 EST 2014

There was a niche within Tandy/Radio Shack that realized this and pushed for
some of the hobbyist products to be included in the catalog and on store
shelves for the Color Computer. I'm specifically referring to OS-9 and other
Microware products that never would have been included in the Radio Shack
catalog if this niche hadn't existed. Even so, OS-9 remained more of a niche
product because of Tandy/Radio Shack's marketing strategy. I have no idea
what could have happened if Tandy/Radio Shack had introduced a more
"hobbyist friendly" version of the Color Computer (say a version with the
disk drives and expansion bus in one case like the Model III and IV), but I
have no doubt that such a computer would have bitten into Model III, IV, and
16 sales. In fact, I wonder if such a computer running OS-9 Level 2 would
have obsoleted the 16 running Xenix.