[Coco] pacos9 ported to lwtools

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 18:34:29 EST 2014

First, I'm sorry for taking so long to respond to this. I have been very
busy with my newest income venture, recycling, and have been working on the
SWTPC files listing, which I finished today. :)

I seem to stand corrected on how much the edition byte is/was actually
used! Thank you all for so much interesting information.

I have often wondered why Basic09 had no utility for setting the edition
byte in a I-Code module. Also, with what scant info there is in the
documentation about what the edition byte is, and how it is used, I had no
way to know if one could even try to use it in a Basic09 program. In
Basic09, the first byte of the I-Code area is the first token. It cannot be
the token it is and also be alterable for the purpose of tracking edition
changes.

Since the source file is where everything is defined in a Basic09
procedure, there would have to be, I believe, some kind of pseudo command
that results in a single-byte output located at the beginning of the I-Code
area. For clarity, this is the same position in a Basic09 module as the
execution offset address of a object-code module, the first byte after the
module name.

Is there a reason this was not included in Basic09, does anyone know?

Wayne