[Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!

iggybeans at comcast.net iggybeans at comcast.net
Tue Feb 11 09:52:05 EST 2014

From: iggybeans at comcast.net
To: coco at maltedmedia.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:24:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!

On 11/02/2014 12:15:31 Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au>
wrote:

>FTR, recreating the Coco3 is nowhere near as complex as rewriting the 6809
>core. So if you want to start somewhere, I'd look at a new Coco3 before
>attempting a new core.

>As I mentioned here recently, and it appears to have been all-but-ignored, I
>am aware of a rather accomplished FPGA designer who has recently been
>working on a 6808 implementation, and has plans to extend it to 6809/3 at
>some point. No word on ETA at all unfortunately.

Yes, a more accurate 6809 core would be a lot of work, a 6309 core would be
harder, and an enhanced version of the latter would be an enormous
undertaking.
But an improved interrupt system (say with a couple of bits for vectoring like the
68K) would be nice.
And I wonder what a fully 32 bit 6309 would look like.

>IMHO the bitmapped graphics of the Coco3 would be perfectly complemented
>with a simple scrolling tilemap and sprite engine. They're actually rather
>trivial to implement in an FPGA, but offload a lot of work from the CPU and
>would enable some pretty cool platform and shooter games! By the same token,
>adding 2D pixel scrolling to the bitmap wouldn't go astray either!

Yes, good ideas.
How about a dedicated sound generator, improved A to D resolution, a better
MMU and DMA?
On the Sprite Generator, this is probably the lowest hanging fruit as there are
implementations of this in FP GA.