[Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!

iggybeans at comcast.net iggybeans at comcast.net
Tue Feb 11 07:57:26 EST 2014

>Message: 10
>Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 12:15:31 +1100
>From: Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au>
>Subject: Re: [Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!
>To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>

>FTR, recreating the Coco3 is nowhere near as complex as rewriting the 6809
>core. So if you want to start somewhere, I'd look at a new Coco3 before
>attempting a new core.

>As I mentioned here recently, and it appears to have been all-but-ignored, I
>am aware of a rather accomplished FPGA designer who has recently been
>working on a 6808 implementation, and has plans to extend it to 6809/3 at
>some point. No word on ETA at all unfortunately.

Yes, a more accurate 6809 core would be difficult, a 6309 core even harder,
and an enhanced version of the latter would be an enormous endeavor .
But an enhanced processor would be so nice to work with.
Just the improvement that could result in an improved interrupt vector system alone intrigue me.
And, what would a fully 32 bit 6309 look like?

>IMHO the bitmapped graphics of the Coco3 would be perfectly complemented
>with a simple scrolling tilemap and sprite engine. They're actually rather
>trivial to implement in an FPGA, but offload a lot of work from the CPU and
>would enable some pretty cool platform and shooter games! By the same token,
>adding 2D pixel scrolling to the bitmap wouldn't go astray either!

Those sound like relatively easier goals.
Enhanced sound, better A to A and A to D resolutions, an enhanced MMU and
DMA would not hurt either.
A Sprite layer similar to that included in the F-18A FPGA should be possible.
And increased on screen colors would make sense.