[Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!

billg999 at cs.uofs.edu billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Mon Feb 10 20:28:11 EST 2014

>>Message: 6
>>Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:16:09 -0500
>>From: billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
>>Subject: Re: [Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!
>>To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>

>>For the record and to inform the others who were in my shoes....
>
>>I did finally get into the COCO3FPGA Yahoo Group.
>
>>I was able to get some stuff from the files. But my DE-1 is at
>>home and I am at work.... :-( Why does this work stuff constantly
>>get in the way of having fun...
>
>>I saw what looked like a version for a Spartan. I grabbed this as
>>well as I am hoping to have one of them soon, too. Hopefully the
>>board I am planning on getting is the one it was done for.
>
>>Let the fun begin!!!
>
>>bill
>
> Bill, um, before you take it upon yourself to use Gary Becker's code as
> the basis for an enhanced Coco, you might want to ask for Gary's
> permission.
> To the best of my knowledge, Gary considers this his property and would
> like to use it for the basis of his CocoX project.

Where did I say anything about doing that?  I hav never touched an
FPGA before and a probably the last operson in this group likely to
have the skills and knowledge to do anythingother than play with it.

> I am also part of Becker's group, but I have personally assured him I will
> not use his code in my own projects.
> Right now I have the OpenCores code for the MC6821 PIAs, and was
> considering whether it was worth trying to duplicate Gary's efforts (its a
> monstrous undertaking).
> Also, the 6809 core Gary uses could definitely use some work.
> Right now its not even close the cycle exact and has none of the 6309
> enhancements.
> And ideally, a new CPU core would go even further than those two goals.
>
> If you really want to explore this idea, open it up to the community, make
> sure you aren't basing it on something proprietary, and let's get started.
>
> Since there has been some work already done on it, one thing I'd like to
> see is a Sprite Graphics generator added to the VDP.
> A hardware cursor generated with this would definitely simply cursor
> movement.
> Many other possible enhancements could be considered.

I'll be happy if I can just get NitrOS9 running on it.

Although, if people think Gary wouldn;t object, I might demo it for
the students in the Physics Course who are going to be working with
FPGA's later this semester.  I might have to take a COCO in with me
so they can see what it is actually emulating.  If they are like me
they will deinitely be impressed.

bill