[Coco] The Tri-Annual CoCo 4 Thread

Brian Blake random.rodder at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 17:07:08 EST 2014

Bill,

I personally don't see it happening. Unless someone is willing to go it
alone, I doubt we'll ever see a consensus in this group about a next
generation CoCo.
I'd love to be proven wrong on that. But at nearly every turn,
conflicting ideologies have come to the internet version of a
slobber-knocker before people got disheartened and stopped.
The CoCo-X is a great example of how people react. The biggest dust up
wasn't even about it's functionality; rather where he was willing to ship.

I cannot comment on the email Steve received, but, I have no doubt his
claims are legit.

There's been talk of making a drop it replacement for the GIME, but, i
have no idea what, if any, progress has been made. John Kowalski
designed a circuit for a 4MHz CPU upgrade for the CoCo3, but, again,
nobody has done anything with it to make it practical.

As for current add-ons, the long awaited SuperBoard has much potential.
Darren's CoCo SDC adapter (can't wait to test) offers functionality all
other virtual disk devices and software fail to (i.e.: ability to handle
software using funky DSKCON routines). There's a lot out there, but, not
much that actually improves upon what the CoCo currently is, and nothing
that can actually replace a bad motherboard or GIME chip.

 From my perspective, the DE-1 board is the best route to go at this
stage, unless the CoCo-X makes a come-back and can garner the support it
needs. Based on the results the first time around, I doubt it...

Brian