[Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Feb 5 18:26:53 EST 2014

On 6/02/2014 6:34 AM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> But once you get into new video modes, a better
> MMU or RAM subsystem, all the things that require significant changes on
> the software side.. it gets much harder to provide something people
> appreciate or can agree on or even use.  I am not saying we shouldn't
> pursue those things, they would be awesome to have.

You make a very good point that has had me shaking my head every time an
enhanced 'Coco4' is discussed.

So many people talk about enhanced graphics and sound but - technical issues
aside - who is really going to take advantage of those? How many people here
are going to be developing 256-colour games for the Coco4? For which DOS?
And in what language?

The likes of Steve, Nick and John(s) aside, I'd be surprised if there's more
than a few people here capable or willing to develop new games in assembler.
So that leaves C or - if someone writes routines for it - BASIC.

But here's what I don't understand... if you're programming in a high(er)
level language for graphics modes that aren't available on a stock Coco -
then why aren't you just writing Amiga software? What's the difference? I
never really understood this thinking!?!

Regards,