[Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Wed Feb 5 17:58:16 EST 2014

On 02/05/2014 01:34 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> [snip]
> I agree $200 is about the limit for such a device.  [...]  We also
> have the same issue of competing with the well established CoCo 3 standard
> for mindshare... if the platform isn't significantly better then why
> upgrade at all, yet if the platform is too different then its "not a coco".
>
> Personally I think most of the upgrades seen in CoCo3FPGA are the low
> hanging fruit that makes the most sense.  A 25Mhz NitrOS9 system is really
> nice and doesn't require new software.  Everybody likes having the same
> thing only faster :)  Same for vga output, ps/2 keyboard, high speed
> drivewire, built in sound, etc.  [...]  A great aspect of the FPGA platform is that you don't have to
> commit to a single definition.  For example if CoCo3FPGA decided to
> implement a new MMU, nobody with a DE1 now has to buy new hardware, its
> just reprogram the FPGA to be the new MMU, and the party has started.
> That flexibility eliminates many difficult choices you would have to make
> if one were to design a coco 4 using traditional components, and I think
> that provides the best real hope we have of seeing a standard platform.

I agree very much about the price point, and the flexibility of the
FPGA.  I think that some people may not quite grasp the fact that an
FPGA-based computer can easily be re-configured, so the feature set
needn't remain fixed.  In principle, one could define a Next-Gen CoCo
that retains a high degree of legacy compatibility, OR a bunch of new
features, depending on which ~firmware (not the right term, but I can't
think of it ATM) file you load up in it.  So someone might buy the
platform to play old CoCo games (if that cycle-accurate CPU comes along)
or replace original hardware that has bit the dust or been eaten by the
attic monsters, and then incidentally have a machine capable of running
new software.

I agree with Bill L. that the potential market is likely far too small
to attract the Shack, or make any other mass-production attempt
feasible.  (Though I could just imagine a scenario in which RS could
make a go of it:  Ship it with all the games they have the rights to
(maybe none by now, especially since they sold their computer business
off), put a Geek Port on it, and some easy software tools to poke at the
outside world, bundle it with a cool book about the history of the CoCo,
and put it on the shelf next to the Arduinos, Propellers, and BASIC
Stamps.  If they could do that for $100, I think they'd sell quite a
few, but I don't see them having the vision for that kind of
market-segment-crossing, and there may well be Intellectual Property
issues at this point.)

But I think there is a sweet spot in a compromise between a wholly DIY
CoCo3FPGA and a polished consumer-like product.  I think the development
boards are really pretty affordable, though they don't have all the I/O
we would ideally like, and they don't have a nice case.  I think the
opportunity is in selling interface boards that will plug into the
development boards and add some necessary I/O. Then add a laser-cut
acrylic mounting plate in two different styles:  vintage CoCo case
adapter, and mATX mounting.  (Maybe the same plate could even work for
both.)  Some internal hook-up cables and a DriveWire cable complete the
kit, or you can just buy the I/O boards for a cheaper, more DIY option.
A bonus enhancement would be a module that could store the bit files (or
whatever they're called) for different Next-Gen CoCo configurations in a
flash memory and be capable of loading them over the JTAG interface
without having to hook up to an external PC.  With something like that,
you could reconfigure between Classic and Super CoCo with ease.

I would also add that it's probably been a few years since anybody made
any significant money selling software for the CoCo.  I'm not an Open
Source fundamentalist, but really, the only reason anybody cares about
the CoCo at this point is to have fun.  You can have fun playing old
games and indulging in nostalgia, you can have fun hooking up gadgets to
a computer that has a readily accessible bus interface, you can have fun
collecting vintage goodies and retro-futuristic remakes, and you can
have fun writing bare-metal programs and teaching an old dog new
tricks.  So I'm not convinced that nobody is going to write software
that takes advantage of new features of a Next-Gen CoCo, but I think
it's more likely to be motivated by playing around with it and seeing
what you can make it do than by looking for compensation or
recognition.  NitrOS-9 has been a collaborative effort.  Why do people
continue to work on it? It's a worthwhile project in its own right,
whether there are a lot of users or not.  But the fact that it's out
there, and continues to be improved benefits the whole community, and
increases the chances that somebody like Bill Pierce will write more
software for it.

JCE