[Coco] OT: Super Bowl RS Add

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Mon Feb 3 21:15:49 EST 2014

On Feb 3, 2014, at 12:43 AM, Nick Marentes <nickma at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Maybe they should get into the retro computing and arduino scene? This is an
> area that is beyond the scope of the big chain stores, a niche area that
> they could tap into.

Here in the states, they have some surprising Arduino things. I have found DMX shields, Xbee wireless shields, and various other items that i wouldn't think would be very mainstream for most Arduino folks. They also were an exclusive with the new Arduino Esplora when it came out (think: Arduino with Nintendo style buttons, tilt sensor, etc. so you could hook it up and program it to be a joystick/controller).

The prices are not as good as Amazon, but on par with alot of these Adafruit and other hobbyists sites when you compare price and shipping.

> Imagine if they could sell an FPGA board that could become any of their
> older computers.

Yes! They missed the boat on the 25th anniversary of the TRS-80 Model I but not at least offering an emulator package. Heck, that could make a nice radioshack(tm) branded freebie from their site these days. (Yep, from Radio Shack, to RadioShack, and now apparently radioshack.)

> Maybe even re-release the CoCo as a cost reduced retro platform for
> hobbyists at the same time promoting their 80's marketing strategy?

Fun!

		-- A