[Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 21:17:27 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 9:09 PM, Nick Marentes <nickma at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at ...> writes:
>

>> Its interesting, but I'm not sure compelling.  Some hardware features
>> are nicer than the CoCo3FPGA / Altera DE-1 FPGA solution, but not mind
>> blowingly nicer, and the cost is relatively high.   The DE-1 also has
>> the advantage of being supported by lots of different implementations
>> (CoCo, Amiga, Apple II, Amstrad, IBM PC-XT, probably others I never
>> tried).
>
> Yes but the point is that it's done. Ready. Nothing else to add (except an
> I/O add-on for CoCo ports if we really need them all).
>
> Yes. It "may" be possible to make it cheaper but a real product is better
> than theories.

The DE-1 is real and already has CoCo3FPGA ported to it.  Several of
us have been running FPGA CoCos on them for a couple years now.  I
guess I'm a little lost as to why this new board is preferable?
It seems to be fairly equivalent except that CoCo3FPGA isn't ported,
so you can't just install a premade CoCo3 image and go (like you can
with the DE-1 right now).

> If it can emulate these 8Mhz 16bit computers, surely it's gooid enough to
> emulate a 1.79Mhz CoCo3 and then a bit more.

The DE-1 has been emulating a CoCo 3 at 20+Mhz for some time.. again
not sure what is compellingly different about the MIST?  I must be
missing something, sorry not trying to be a PITA.