[Coco] CoCo4! 50% done!

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 14:53:41 EST 2014

Its interesting, but I'm not sure compelling.  Some hardware features
are nicer than the CoCo3FPGA / Altera DE-1 FPGA solution, but not mind
blowingly nicer, and the cost is relatively high.   The DE-1 also has
the advantage of being supported by lots of different implementations
(CoCo, Amiga, Apple II, Amstrad, IBM PC-XT, probably others I never
tried).

I think things are moving towards an FPGA board that is very cheap and
more "standardized", and we will see a common platform emerge that is
targeted by lots of "retro" computing systems.  We aren't quite there
yet IMHO, but these types of boards show that we are not far away.

A related concept that I think would make sense to think about even
before an obvious "winner" in the FPGA space emerges is I/O.. how do
we connect retro peripherals to a retro FPGA system?  I've talked with
various coconuts who know hardware better than I do about this and one
idea that makes a lot of sense to me is a standard "CoCo I/O dongle"
thing..  imagine a standalone device that had the same I/O connections
that are found on a CoCo, with everything tied to a USB (or...
something?) interface.

Here is my "concept 1.0" design (let this also serve as evidence that
I should not be allowed anywhere near an actual design):

http://i.imgur.com/MGe1nSe.png

You could connect this to a PC running an emulator or to FPGA boards
,etc.  By decoupling the I/O from any specific host system you avoid
committing to a single FPGA board and expand the potential user base
massively by including emulators.  Host hardware will almost certainly
change, but coco I/O won't, so by breaking the tie between them you
gain much.

Obviously the implementation would require some serious hardware
knowhow, but the impression I've gotten is that it would probably be
possible.

-Aaron